1 a definite length of time marked off by two instants [syn: time interval]
2 a set containing all points (or all real numbers) between two given endpoints
3 the distance between things; "fragile items require separation and cushioning" [syn: separation]
4 the difference in pitch between two notes [syn: musical interval]
- A distance in space or in time.
- In music, an interval is the difference (a ratio or logarithmic measure) in pitch between two notes and often refers to those two pitches themselves (otherwise known as a dyad).
- In mathematics an interval is a connected section of the real line. It may be empty or have a length of zero.
- In the context of "mostly|british}} An intermission.
Interval may refer to:
- Interval (mathematics), a certain subset of an ordered set
- Interval measurements or interval variables in statistics is a level of measurement
- Interval (music), the relationship between two notes
- Interval (time), the duration between two events
- Space-time interval, the distance between two points in 4-space
- Playing time (cricket)
- A synonym (especially UK usage) for an intermission in theatre
- Interval training, in sports, is a training technique often used by runners
interval in Catalan: Interval (desambiguació)
interval in Czech: Interval
interval in Danish: Interval
interval in German: Intervall
interval in Spanish: Intervalo
interval in French: Intervalle
interval in Georgian: ინტერვალი
interval in Dutch: Interval
interval in Portuguese: Intervalo
interval in Simple English: Interval
interval in Slovak: Interval
interval in Slovenian: Interval
interval in Serbian: Интервал
interval in Sundanese: Interval
interval in Swedish: Intervall
abeyance, amount, aperture, arrearage, breach, break, broaching, caesura, caliber, cavity, cease-fire, cessation, chasm, check, clearing, cleft, coffee break, comma, compass, consecutive intervals, crack, cut, day, day off, defalcation, defect, deficiency, deficit, degree, delay, diapason, diatessaron, diatonic interval, diatonic semitone, disclosure, discontinuity, distance, downtime, drop, enharmonic diesis, enharmonic interval, extent, fateful moment, fenestra, fifth, fissure, fistula, fontanel, foramen, fourth, gap, gape, gat, grade, gulf, half step, half time, half-time intermission, halftone, height, hesitation, hiatus, hole, holiday, hollow, hour, inlet, instant, interim, interlude, intermezzo, intermission, intermittence, interregnum, interruption, interstice, juncture, kairos, lack, lacuna, lapse, laying open, layoff, leak, leap, less semitone, letup, level, lull, mark, meantime, meanwhile, measure, melodic interval, minute, missing link, moment, moment of truth, need, notch, note, nuance, octave, off-time, omission, opening, opening up, orifice, outage, outlet, parallel octaves, parenthesis, pas, passageway, pause, peg, period, pitch, plane, plateau, point, point of repose, pore, pregnant moment, proportion, psychological moment, quiet spell, range, ratio, reach, recess, relief, remission, remove, respite, rest, resting point, round, rung, scale, scope, season, second, semitone, seventh, shade, shadow, shortage, sixth, slot, space, span, spell, split, stage, stair, stand-down, standard, stay, step, stint, stoma, stretch, suspension, third, throwing open, time, time lag, time off, time out, tone, tread, truce, ullage, uncorking, unison interval, unstopping, vacation, void, wait, want, wantage, while, whole step, yawn